The first schools in Mesic were private and were held in homes, until about 1780 when through cooperative effort a
community building was erected. About 1906 the first Public School began in the cooperative building. In 1907, the school
district acquired the Missionary Baptist Church building (white) and in 1913 a brick building was completed.
Mesic was incorporated in 1971. It's first mayor, Elwood Jennette, it's councilmen were: Hazel Mason, Warren Credle,
Rudolph Jones, Leo Henries and Holland Gibbs.
Most of the early records of families, building etc., were lost during the great hurricane of 1913.
Mt. Olive MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH Founded in 1880, present membership 400, 150 original members. The Mt. Olive
Missionary Baptist Church was founded around 1880 in a building about one mile from present structure. Rev. Albert Bryant was
the first pastor to serve the church until 1901. Rev Henry Dudley was elected and he served for three years. In 1903 a storm
came and destroyed all records of the church. Several other pastors served between 1880 to present, this is the new church.
|MT OLIVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
|Mt Olive Church